Under the Charter for the Protection of Children and Young People, all employees and those volunteers with access to children must complete a course in prevention education. Before you will be allowed to volunteer at DRS, you must complete a background check and attend VIRTUS Training.
The training program the Diocese of Charleston chooses to use is VIRTUS. Training sessions are made available in our area by trained facilitators who volunteer their time for the Diocese of Charleston. VIRTUS training will be offered at Divine Redeemer School on Tuesday, August 25 and Thursday, August 27 at 6:00 pm. If you are unable to attend one of these sessions, please use the VIRTUS website to locate and attend a training session.
To register for a session near you please follow these directions:
- Go to virtus.org
- Click on the “Registration” tab on the left column
- Select the Diocese of Charleston, SC from the drop-down menu
- Complete your registration information and check the box next to the training session you wish to attend
- Click “Submit Registration” You will get a message on-screen confirming your registration
- Attend the session you have chosen. Be sure to sign the sign-in sheet at this session. This confirms your attendance and will be verified by The Office of Child Protection Services before approving your status through VIRTUS.