So Long, DRS Grads
Every year at this time there are many tears shed, by students, their parents, and their teachers, as they realize it is time to say good-bye. Despite the “grind” of attending school, including completing homework and studying for tests, 8th graders suddenly realize, “This is it.” Many of them have been friends for nine or ten years, and now will be heading off in different directions, to continue their education. Tonight, we will graduate eight wonderful students, some of which have only been with us for a year, and others, for much longer. Our longest-attending student for this class is Dalton Posadas, who began with us in K4, and has attended DRS consecutively ever since. We honored all of our eighth graders on Wednesday, and saw them in their caps and gowns for the first time, at Baccalaureate Mass. After Mass, the 7th and 8th graders entertained breakfast guests by singing three songs. It was very special for all of us. A delicious breakfast, prepared by Miss Lori and Miss Maria, was shared, and one by one, members of our eighth grade class left Caddell Hall. Some didn’t want to go; last-minute hugs were given, and again, tears were shed. We know that our graduates are fully equipped to go on and be successful in high school, and beyond. We also know that we will see most of them again in August, when they come back to tell us about their new schools. The class of 2016 will be in our hearts and prayers for a long time, no doubt. It is time for us, as a school, to officially send them off, and say, “Vaya con Dios.” If you would like to attend the Graduation Mass tonight at 5:00, please feel free to join us as we confer diplomas upon:
Michelle Bui Jullie-Allisan de Faria Kaitlyn Milligan Vanesha Pinckney
Dalton Posadas Monserrat Rodriguez-Hernandez Brittany Sanchez Diana Torres
The school office hours will be a bit different after school ends on Thursday, June 2nd. We will remain open from 7:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. until Friday, June 10th. Beginning on Monday, June 13th, and running through Friday, July 29th, we will be open only on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays, between 9:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. Please note: The office will be closed entirely from Thursday, July 14th through Thursday, July 21st. On Monday, August 1st through Friday, August 12th, we will be open on Monday – Friday, from 9:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. Full operations will resume on Monday, August 15th, which is the first day of school. Our Spanish Language office staff member, Ms. Patricia McBride, will be available to assist with all translating/interpreting needs during her regularly scheduled office hours, which are Tuesdays and Thursdays, between 7:30 – 9:30 a.m. She will keep these hours throughout the summer, with the exception of the dates between Thursday, June 30th and Friday, July 15th, when she will be on vacation.
The last day of school is Thursday, June 2nd. Dismissal is at 11:50 a.m., and there will be no after-school ESP. Be sure to pick up your children on time!
Preliminary school calendar 2016-2017
While we have not yet calendared all of the events and activities for the 2016-2017 school year, we would like to give you an overview of important dates at this time. Our “official” calendar will be completed after school gets out, and you will receive a copy as soon as possible.
- First day of school August 15th
- First two days 11:50 dismissal for all
- The entire first week 11:50 dismissal for preschool
- No school Labor Day, Monday, September 5th
- No school Columbus Day, Monday, October 10th
- No school Conference Day, Friday, October 28th
- No school Thanksgiving Holiday, Wednesday, November 23rd, 24th or 25th
- Christmas Vacation begins on Monday, December 19th and runs through Monday, January 2nd
- No school Martin Luther King Jr. Day on Monday, January 16th
- No school President’s Day on Monday, February 20th
- No school due to Teachers’ Conference on Thursday, March 2nd and Friday, March 3rd
- Easter Vacation begins with early dismissal on Wednesday, April 12th, and school resumes Monday, April 24th
- No school Memorial Day, Monday, May 29th
- Last day of school is Wednesday, May 31st, unless there will be weather make up days
Time for New Uniforms!!!
Enclosed in last week’s packet you should have found a flyer with all of your uniform ordering information. Lands’ End School Outfitters is our new uniform provider. You can go online or call them directly to place your orders. Please find an easy link on our school website also. It is under Parent, and look for the tab that says Uniforms. Easy Peasy, and you can purchase your uniforms with SCRIP sold in our office!
- Graduation Mass will be held tonight, May 27th, at 5:00 p.m. in the church
- Grades K5 & 1 on field trip to Aquarium on Tuesday, May 31st.
- Field Day – Grades 2-7 @ 8:00 – 11:30 a.m. on Tuesday, May 31st.
- Water Day – Grades K3 & K4, and K5 & 1 on Wednesday, June 1st.
- Afternoon Fiesta – Middle School – beginning at 12:30 p.m. (Dining, dancing and…???)
- Last day of school is on Thursday, June 2nd. Dismissal at 11:50 a.m. Awards assembly at 11:00 a.m. No after-school ESP that day.
Watch for It!
The following are a list of things to watch for today in this packet:
- Sports Inquiry Info
- STEM Camp Flyer for girls in grades 4-8
- SCRIP Stars flyer